Sunday, January 20, 2013

Unbroken - Striking, Horrifying, Poignant and Beautiful

Unbroken: A World War II Book of Survival, Resilience, and RedemptionUnbroken: A World War II Book of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

AMAZING!

Not only was I drawn in by the details of this striking, horrific and beautifully written tale, but also by the willingness of Louie Zamperini to share it.

With literary skill that I'm pretty sure cannot be taught, Laura Hillenbrand managed to share Louie's experiences in a way that at many times I felt I had to have been reading a novel, and not events that occurred in the life of a real person. His experiences from the POW camps may have been difficult for me to read had this subtle and warming written not been there to guide me through, as they were often so heinous that I was reminded of "truth is stranger than fiction'...but in this case, truth was more horrifying than any fiction I can conjure. Along with helping me through the tough parts, I found myself engrossed in smaller details of WWII that I had not known, or even cared about. Who would have thought that I would ever stop reading to look up a WWII bomber?!

"Louie ran through the place where cages had once held him, where a black-eyed man and crawled inside him. But the cages were long gone, and so was the Bird. There was no trace of them among the voices, the falling snow, and the old and joyful man, running."

Through Louie's life as a bungling teen, Olympic races and hopes, adventures learning to fly, misery (that word does not even do it justice)as a POW and the subsequent recovery from those experiences, it is impossible not to fall in love with this incredible human being. His strength is more than many people can ever aspire to, and his story is one that I will venture to share with anyone who will listen.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment