Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hunted

Hunted (House of Night, #5)Hunted by P.C. Cast

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This series is becoming quite a conundrum for me...I'm completely sucked into the storyline, even though each book is increasingly annoying.

The story line has always been easy to read, you care about the characters, and I love the elements of Cherokee history and mythology mixed in with the vampyre's pagan culture.

That said, their are many elements of the both the storyline and the writing. First, I am increasingly put off in each subsequent book by the constant retelling of earlier parts of the story. This is a series. Theoretically, most of your readers will have read the earlier books, and don't need a reminder on every other page of what has happened to Zoey with this person or that person, or that she can command the elements, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I realize that some people may randomly pick up a book in the middle of the series, but since a majority will not in a series like this, you need to write to your readers and not go so overboard with the replays. A few here and there, ok. The same details repeated several times in each book, too much.

Next, I've had just about enough of the overdone teenage girl-teenage boy drama. I've heard so many people say that these books are a "more realistic portrayal" of teenage life than the Twilight series(for a paranormal genre, of course), but this part of the storyline couldn't be further from realistic. How about I imprint with one, kiss another, have sex with yet another, and then kiss the fourth another. But who's girlfriend am I? And who do I love? The guy I've known for 2 months, or the guy I've known for an hour? Hmmmm...decisions, decisions. This part of the story, for lack of a better description, needs to get a grip. This whole story line is too outlandish even for this type of story.

But of course I'll be reading the next book within a few days....I just wish these were written better, because I would actually love them, and I'd feel a little less pathetic not being able to put them down!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment